Sunday, July 4, 2010

America's Birthday

"Did you know that it's your birthday today"? That's the first thing my nephew, Ian, said to me today. The fact that I had just rolled out of bed I had forgot that today was July 4th. "It's America's birthday, and you're an American, so it's your birthday too".

I was so excited to accept the offer to come to England and help out my brother and his family as they welcome little baby, Vivian, into their home. After I had purchased the tickets and my departure date was getting closer I realized that I would be missing my favorite holiday, July 4th. And not only that, I would be spending it with the enemy. (I'm of course joking but thought it was kind of ironic regardless).

Well, not to worry I was able to go to a lovely July 4th barbecue here with some American's in my brothers ward. Fireworks and everything. What I loved was that there were only three American families, a few Scottish families, and a lot of British families. Ian was telling me "everyone wants to talk to you because this is your party because you're an American". I wasn't as popular as he thought but it was fun to think of July 4th as not only America's birthday but my own.

Happy July 4th.


P.S. Miss you Dustin

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hurray!I have been anxiously awaiting this update! I love that you share America's birthday :) Your "Uncle Sams" are darling.

dydili said...

Happy Birthday America...And Katie. Glad you could represent Miss America.